Greene County Deputy and EMS Responder Overcome By Exposure To Fentanyl
Thursday morning just before 6am, the Greene Co. Sheriff’s Department and Greene Co. EMS responded to an overdose at a residence on Hartman Road in Greene County. 26 year old Tommy Dale Starnes was found at the residence on the floor, needing medical attention. He was loaded in an ambulance while deputies spoke to Starnes’ girlfriend, who stated they were using heroin and it was possibly laced with fentanyl….which exposure to even small quantities can cause serious negative health effects, respiratory depression, and even death according to the department of justice. Law enforcement found the substance being taken in that home. During transport, one of the EMS responders began having signs of an overdose. The ambulance was pulled over and a Greene County sheriff’s deputy left his car and drove the ambulance. By the time they arrived at the hospital the deputy was experiencing symptoms of overdose. Sheriff Holt donning a Hazmat suit retrieved the drug evidence from the deputy’s patrol car. Then members of the sheriff’s department and the drug task force in hazmat suits collected drug evidence from the residence. Both the EMS responder and the deputy received medical aid and were released from the hospital later in the day Thursday. Tommy Starnes has been charged with 2 counts of Felony Reckless Endangerment, Felony Possession of Schedules I and IV drugs, and Felony Possession of Drug Paraphernalia. His bond has been set set at $100,000.